Friday, January 14, 2011

Describing your Business


Describing your art or craft, can be a challenge. I was recently asked to describe what I do, and even though I knew exactly what it is I do, I had to try & summarise it in 30 seconds.

It had me thinking, what is it that I do? How can I say what I do quickly and efficiently. I felt that I really had to to work this out, as you just never know who may ask you this question in the future.

I decided to work this out on my trusty computer. I started typing, and boy did I think I was impressive, I did so much & my detail was amazing. Amazing if someone wanted to hear me ramble for 5 minutes, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe I will leave this info to family members when they are what have I've been up to!

I had no idea how hard this was, as I also had to make sure I feel confident when saying it. (As I don't know about you, but when I am a little shy, intimidated or nervous, I tend to have verbal diarrhoea, that's just between us). I sat there for ages and I rehashed and rehashed. I wanted to get it as close to 30 seconds as possible, where I didn't feel I was speaking to quickly and literally blurting out information.

This is what I came up with....

My business name is Tiges and Weince & I am an illustrator of children's artwork and accessories. Using my artwork, I hand make children's decorative cushions, create wall art, and magnetic bookmarks. My work is very bright an colourful, you should take a look (handing over business card).

I am not a business expert by any means, and I am positive an expert may read that and cringe.....But I feel comfortable with that as it is honest and friendly. Never over embellish!
I think that is half the battle if you're honest and proud of what you do, talking about it comes naturally.


No comments: