Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Artist of the week - Shanwen from Pretty Peonies

This week I am posting about one of my favourite jewelry artists Shanwen from Pretty Peonies.
You may remember my "Amelie" Necklace I bought a while ago, well this is the lovely person I purchased it from. I love Shanwen's works as it feels so nostalgic, romantic and gives me great memories of Paris, which is clearly a troubled obsession. Make sure you visit her Etsy store.

1)Tell us a bit about yourself?
I am originally from Singapore, now i live and work in Melbourne. My day job as an analyst at a bank requires lots of number crunching and logical thinking, so the shop is actually a creative escapism for me. I love to knit and has created countless of scarves and cardigans which naturally leads to more crafting in different avenues. This is how i stumble upon jewellery making as well.

2)Where did your business name come from?
It was a ' eureka ' moment for me. I simply love peonies and when i register my shop name on Etsy, i was so happy that it was available.

3)Tell us a bit about your business?
It started off with my friend ranting on and on about etsy and creating items to sell. I always love jewellery and had a passion of seeking out those unique " one of a kind " pieces which are affordable. My dad, being an entrepreneur himself, is very supportive of me. He was the one who gave my business tips and encouraged me when times were down. My partner helps me outing with the mailing and my sister helps me source for unique supplies wherever she goes. Hence, I am really grateful for the supportive people i have around me. I hunt for supplies myself too, usually online to see what's possible. I usually go to the flea markets on sundays to get inspired and hoping to stumble upon unique pieces. I work on my shop on weeknights and weekends, the only time when i am most creative .

4)What inspires you to create what you make?
I am inspired by vintage items, flea markets and romance. I love the pale pastel colours and Paris and would usually try to incorporate the inspirations into my work.

5)What do you think is the key to achieving successful sales?
I haven't been selling for long. But i believe a good word of mouth and excellent customer service are the way to go. Treating your customers like GOLD will definitely reap the rewards later on.
6)What is your favourite music/artist/movie/book/website?
Beside Etsy, i love Decor8 for its unique approach towards everyday decoration and style. I adore Audrey Hepburn too.
7)If you could interview anybody in the world who would it be?
Well, can i name a few regardless? ! Perhaps Richard Branson and Brigette Bardot.

8)Where is your next holiday destination?
I really would love to visit to Paris.. We shall see!
Make sure you pop into 'Prett Peonies' as there is a buy 1 get 1 free sale. I know I will be visiting. You can also read more about Shanwen at her blog http://www.yarndebauchery.blogspot.com/

Thanks again Shanwen & good luck with you future creations, I look forward to seeing them.

Ky x

No comments: