Thursday, May 21, 2009

Artist of the week - Camille1955

This week I am featuring Camille from Etsy store Camille1955. Camille is a native of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and lives with het husband, six children and ten grandchildren. Thankfully she clarified not all in the same house, as initially I was completely stunned. She loves making things like jewelry, greeting cards, beaded purses, scrapbooks and so much more and has had a few of her handcrafted items featured in magazines, books and television.
If you remember the owl I purchased last week 'Patridge' who sits in my office with me, well these paper crafts were inspired from her & other owly friends. Soooo cute!!


1)Tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Camille Petrocelli.
I am a native Floridian, (Ft. Lauderdale), married for 33 years with six children and ten grandchildren. I'm 53 years old and have been an artist since I came out of the womb, so my mother tells me. I love the beach, nature, gardening and everything colorful and creative. I have worked at a rubber stamp store, bead shop, scrapbook store and learned so much from each place. I have also taught classes at all of them, including Michael's Arts & Crafts stores.

2)Where did your business name come from?
My husband named my business, "Camille's Creations", when I started a rubber stamp line about 12 years ago, and the name stuck with everything I do.
I had a little shop several years ago with the same name, where I sold a little bit of everything and held classes on jewelry making and paper crafting.

3)Tell us a bit about your business?
Right now my main business is making and selling items on ETSY & ARTFIRE. Mostly I make wire and bead jewelry although I love to do scrapbooks and greeting cards. I would never be able to pick just one medium to work in, because my attention span is too short. I have a bead and wire dragonfly that is one of my specialities, but the last week or so, I got back into paper crafting. The paper owls were an inspiration from another etsy seller that makes stuffed owls. I made them for my scrapping/card making friends and myself, and they became quite popular. Now I'm obsessed with making them and starting a line of greeting cards and scrapbook embellishments.

4)What inspires you to create what you make?
The thing that really inspires me to create, is what is going on around me at any given moment. I may see something on TV, or in a magazine and jump up and draw out a plan, and then before I know what hit me, I am making a prototype, or maybe the real thing. Many sleepless nights have led me to create most of the items sell.

5)What do you think is the key to achieving successful sales?
I wish I knew the answer to that one. I do think you have to work at it everyday and keep your product on the front line. I carry business cards with me to all local craft shows, I also wear my jewelry and if someone compliments a piece, I hand them a card and ask them to hit etsy or artfire. I track others and try to see what they are doing as far as sales and sometimes I will email asking for advice. Most sellers are happy to help and are not worried about competition, they just love what they do and are happy to help. Creative people are happy people.

6)What is your favorite music/artist/movie/book/web site?
I have an eclectic mind that loves everything. I hop around from site to site, as well as movies.
I love "how to" books, music in every group and I know I watch way too much television...(what a great invention the remote is)!
7)If you could interview anybody in the world who would it be?
I would love to go back in time and talk with my grandmothers who died when I was a baby. I never got to know them, and would love to ask them about my parents, who have also passed away. maybe we could have a big family reunion of all those who have gone before us, to tap in to secrets of why we are who we are.

8)Where is your next holiday destination?
Because we live in a tropical climate, I take a ride to the beach (about a 20 minute ride) or my backyard, (1 second) to enjoy the pool and garden. We also have friend who has a condo, right on the beach, that he lets us use whenever we want (great friend, huh?) We call these our mini-vacations or day trips that free our spirit...looking for shells, taking pictures of everything, another hobby of mine and just enjoying the sites and smells.

Make sure you visit Camille's Etsy store and see what other items she has on offer. You can also read more about her work at;
Thank you so much camille for your time and fantastic answers, and I wish you lots of sales in the future!

Have a great day,
Ky x

No comments: