Thursday, April 9, 2009

Artist of the week - Jewellery By Ange

This weeks featured artist is Ange from Jewellery By Ange. She is a Brisbane based designer who is completely obsessed with making jewellery, and seems to have some form of separation anxiety when her pieces are sold as she loves them all so much ha ha. Ange loves using shell, stone, crystal, and silver, which gives her collection a very natural charisma about it.

Make sure you visit her etsy store and see her stunning pieces for yourself, the details and workmanship of her pieces are amazing. To learn more about Ange and her inspirations keep reading.....
1)Tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Ange (short for Angelene), I'm 28 and have been crafting all my life. I started making jewellery when I was a kid - starting with seed beads and fishing line stolen from my dad's shed!

2)Where did your business name come from?
Jewellery by Ange isn't a very imaginative business name is it? I am Ange and i make jewellery - ahahahahah

3)Tell us a bit about your business?
I handcraft jewellery using a range of techniques - beading, wire wrapping and hammering sterling wire. I especially love hammering when I'm in a bad mood :) The noise drives my boyfriend nuts but it's his fault for buying me a hammer and anvil for my birthday!! I also work fulltime and run a home spray tanning business. I must have some form of attention deficit because I have to be doing something ALL the time.


4)What inspires you to create what you make?
Usually inspiration for pieces come from the beads themselves - I sit there with everything in front of me and say "now... what do YOU want to be" - sounds weird but it's true :)

5)What do you think is the key to achieving successful sales?
Getting out there - advertising, referrals and repeat business. I sell most of my jewellery in person - people wear my stuff and their friends and family ask "where did you get it!" - and they get referred to me. Repeat business and referrals are a big compliment - to think that people go out of their way to find me, and purchase from me.

6)What is your favourite music/artist/movie/book/website?
Music - 90s rock! Artist - Salvador Dali. Movie - Interview with the Vampire. Book - anything by Laurell K Hamilton (awesome vamp books). Website - etsy of course!!! I spend heaps of time on the forums - there are so many lovely and talented people out there.


7)If you could interview anybody in the world who would it be?
I'm not really big on interviewing - but I would love to have a beer and a chat with someone really cool like Adam Brand - I would probably spend the whole time laughing!!

8)Where is your next holiday destination?
Once our renovation is done and we have saved the cash, my boyfriend Josh and I plan to go somewhere tropical and relaxing like Koh Samui (Thailand) or Fiji... but the renovations are taking up all our cash and time right now so it won't be for a while!!!

Thanks Ange for you time, I hope your holiday comes sooner rather than later.

To keep posetd with all new products and information in the world of Ange, you can visit her several ways blog, twitter facebook and flickr her.

Finally if you live in the Brisbane area, I hear she does a fab spray tan which she runs from home, as well as working full time, and runs her Etsy store. Phew.......How does she find the time?

Have a great day

Kylie xx

4 comments:

Ange said...

aWwwwww thank you Kylie for such a lovely feature!

Ange xo

Anastasia said...

beautiful jewelry!! i have one of her rings and just love it!!!

lyptis said...

Ange ROCKS!:)

M.M.E. said...

Wonderful site! I'm so happy other bloggers are featuring us etsy artists! Let's all help out each other!